Friday, January 16, 2009

Ranting About Youtube Comments

Today I had to remind myself that we can't get our self-worth or our self-esteem or our sense of accomplishment from the Internet. I don't want to be on such a mood swing rollercoaster because one person gives my youtube video five stars and the next one calls me insane and gives me a one. Then there are the people that watch a tutorial, and instead of checking for other tutorials on the same topic until they find one that meets their needs or answers their questions, give me a low ranking because I didn't answer every question directly addressing their problem. Ditto for those complaining about video quality. I don't get paid to do videos. I don't have professional equipment. If they want to buy me a new better video camera, then I'd be happy to make better quality videos. I think people expect a lot for free. You can't learn everything on youtube. You actually have to go to a real class and pay a living instructor from time to time. Otherwise your learning is just going to be a mishmash of techniques. If a tutorial is for a complicated crocheted hat, don't chew out the person who made it because they didn't cover beginning crochet techniques. Look for a tutorial labeled 'beginning to crochet' or something. I see that a lot, not just on my stream but on many. One lady said, "Can you slow down. I just learned yesterday." If a person just learned yesterday they need a lot of practice. I think people want to learn instantly. No one wants to put in the time to really master anything anymore. They give up knitting after an hour because they can't make a sweater yet. I think videos make things look quick and easy because there is a lot of fast forwarding involved. It literally looks like they made the hat in 10 minutes, when in real time it may have taken 10 hours or 10 days even.

Then there are the people that are just haters. They hate women, they hate fat people, they hate black people or they just get off on being mean. Usually I just block those people.

No comments: