Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I predicted today's Quake

About 30 minutes ago I heard that warning Emergency broadcast tv thing beeping in the living room and my first thought was LA area earthquake. So I ran in there. But it was just one of those stupid practice warnings.

Then we really did have a quake. I dove next to my bed, and both cats were right with me. Rocky made it under the bed first, and I tucked wallop in my arms and we waited it out.

When I went in the living room the water was sloshing in the aquarium. I checked on the neighbors and they had run outside.
5.8 in Chino Hills CA.

Just heard from my boyfriend. His office building in Santa Ana was evacuated. All okay now.

Damage reports from the epicenter are sure to follow. Tune in to your local news stations if you are in the LA area.

Map of Chino Hills, CA.

Update: My dad always said that people act like idiots during earthquakes. Sure enough the only injury report I heard so far was when some people running out of a building trampled each other.

Also, everyone they interviewed said they dove under a desk, or ran outside, two things you are NOT supposed to do. Don't people watch those 'triangle zone' info shows? http://www.itszone.co.uk/zone0/viewtopic.php?t=91315&sid=a52616a0c79bde445eab9a6cf8d80d4f
See #1 and #6. People who rely on antiquated information will die. Memorize this, it could save your life.

4 comments:

Allison said...

So... how did you predict the quake?? Thanks for the link to the "triangle of life" information. I am not from California, and I would imagine that many newbies to the area would think we are still supposed to hide under tables and inside doorways. We don't get updated on this stuff in the midwest!!!

David said...

The "triangle of life" is not good advice and its author is not credible. See http://www.earthquakecountry.info/dropcoverholdon/

Fayme Zelena Harper said...

I had a premonition of the quake 30 minutes before it started which was triggered by the TV beeping in the other room. I heard the beep and my immediately thought was Earthquake in LA. But the beeping was just that standard 'if this had been an actual emergency you would have been told where to get the lastest news update.

Fayme Zelena Harper said...

David, I saw the PBS special on it years ago. Guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.