Saturday, April 5, 2008

My mother


Today was one of those days where I really missed my mother. I was at a fabric store and I started thinking about her. How much she would have liked the store, and how happy she would be that her great grandchild will be born in Sept. She really loved babies the best. Maybe that's why she had five kids. But then we kept growing up. She made many of our clothes when we were little. She also loved to crochet and tat. She was forever fixing my dad's pants when he would split the backside. He is a big man and hard on clothes. He'd even wear out fatigues. I'm dating myself...I don't think they call them fatigues anymore but that olive drab was everywhere in my childhood house. I dislike it to this day. Funny where our color preferences come from isn't it?
My mother liked all the cute things like the Campbell Soup Kids, Kewpie Dolls, roses, I Love Lucy, and Mr. Magoo. She also collected old time radio shows on tape, though I no longer remember which ones. And she was a Kay Starr fan.
She was a housewife and military wife who never learned to drive. Imagine having five kids and no way to get around. Many families only had one car in that era, and the man of the house usually drove it to work. Such was the case in my family. We take so many things for granted now a days.

No comments: