Monday, April 28, 2008

Penalized for buying milk.



I'm addicted to soft drinks (soda). Being borderline diabetic, and hearing that even one soda a day doubles your risk of being diabetic, I really want to quit drinking any drink with high fructose corn syrup in it. I started analyzing why I'm having so much trouble quitting.

Here is one reason. When you get a combo meal at a fast food place, a soft drink is included in the price with bottomless refills. I usually have 2 medium cups of soda. This morning I decided to have milk instead. One child's sized milk is included in the price. They don't even have an adult size. So I needed at least two to get through the meal. The extra milk cost $1.09. If I got the equivalent of 2 medium soft drinks I would be paying $3.27 more for the same amount of meal. That's just not right. My thrifty mind almost gags knowing if I do the healthy alternative, it costs me as almost double. There is something wrong with the system.

Since we are out and about every weekend I am faced with this dilemma time and time again. I could buy the iced tea instead, but I don't like unsweetened iced tea and I'm guessing the sweetened ones also contain high fructose corn syrup. Plus the taste of iced tea is very inconsistant from place to place.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this situation.

No comments: